April 5, 2013

Restaurant Review (Lucille's Smokehouse Bar-B-Que)

If you don't live in Southern California, Arizona, or Nevada you are missing some pretty great BBQ.

The story goes that after World War II Lucille and her husband Joe opened their first restaurant in Long Beach, California using Lucille's grandmother's recipes.  And these recipes knocked me out.



We headed out with the family to the restaurant in Temecula, California.  When I got out of the car I could smell the smoke from the parking lot.  And it was calling to me.


When we walked in I saw a giant smoker in the middle of the restaurant.  I want one of these but my wife won't let me put one in our house.


And when they open the door of the smoker the smell permeates the place and is unbelievable.


We started with an appetizer called "Lucille's Onion Straws"


These are a mound of buttermilk battered deep fried onions that come with a BBQ ranch dressing.  You could almost make an entire meal of these with a beer.  But I was looking for some ribs.

The way to tell if ribs are done is you take hold of the bone and lightly pull the meat.  It should come off of the bone easily (fall off the bone done).  And that's the way they do it here.

I ordered the beef ribs.  You can order either 3, 5, or 7 ribs.  I went with five thinking we could all share.  That didn't really happen.  I picked these guys up with my hands and got medieval.  What?  Eat ribs with a knife and fork, you say?  You've got to be kidding me.


Their beef ribs are prepared with a proprietary spice rub, slow cooked with hickory smoke, then covered with Lucille's BBQ sauce.  You can order them dry with the sauce on the side but that's a little too dainty for me. 


They have three different sauces you can choose from.  I went with the original which is a Carolina style (tomato based with molasses, cider vinegar, and a secret spice blend). 

They also have a Hot & Spicy (it's Lucille's original but with big doses of garlic, hot sauce, and hot peppers) and a Memphis style (onions, garlic, cider vinegar, dark brown sugar, molasses, and Worcestershire).

All three are terrific and my beef ribs are gone.

On the other side of the table were two full rack of baby back ribs.  Now mind you I had just put away 4 monster sized beef ribs (yes, I ordered five but I sent the fifth one around the table for everyone to taste), but I had to give these a try.


The baby back ribs are also slow cooked with hickory smoke and smothered in original sauce.  Again the meat fell off the bones and now I not only have even more BBQ sauce on my face but the juices are running down my arms.  There are not enough napkins to contain it.  Luckily they folks who work here know these things and show up with hot towels.

I'm not usually big on dessert but I decided to try the "Chris' Famous Bread Pudding" and I'm glad I did.


This bread pudding is done with sourdough bread, peaches, pecans, sweet custard, and topped with a warm bourbon sauce.  I had to remind myself that it's okay to pick up the ribs with your hands and eat them but I shouldn't pick up this plate and lick it.  I didn't... but I wanted to.

I suggest you give Lucille's a try if you can.  And just in case you're not into ribs (I can't believe I just said that) they also do a smoked BBQ half chicken, Texas style beef brisket, BBQ Tri Tip, pan blackened catfish, grilled or smoked salmon, Angus beef New York steak, marinated sirloin, Jambalaya... you get the idea.  Something for everybody.  They even have a gluten free menu. 

So what are you waiting for?  You know you want it.

2 comments:

Shannon Gonzalez said...

I had a gift certificate for Lucille's that I got a few years ago. You motivated me to finally use it. It was wonderful!

My friend and I shared a dinner that had chicken, baby back ribs and tri tip and it was great! There was plenty for both of us. :)

We also had the fried pickles and shrimp for an appetizer. I liked them both but the shrimp were a little spicy for my friend.

We did not have enough room for dessert. :(

Anonymous said...

Yes I love the taste was ... yummy
thank you
Kizi,Juegos para,Friv,Yepi,Friv 10,
Friv 4
Friv 2